COUNTRY ON EDGE: Washington, D.C., is bracing for the possibility of military strikes on Iran as soon as this weekend even as negotiations continue over the Middle Eastern country's nuclear program.
Multiple outlets reported Wednesday that Trump may order a strike on Iran as soon as this weekend, though no decision had been made yet. Military assets have been added to the region, and Trump gave Iran a 10-day deadline Thursday to reach an agreement or risk an attack.
But The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that Trump is considering an initial limited military strike on Iran to try to force it to agree to his demands on a nuclear deal.
Tehran is expected to provide a written proposal for addressing the U.S.'s concerns and resolving the standoff, The Hill's Laura Kelly reports.
Iran held military drills with Russia on Thursday amid the escalating tensions, conducting exercises in the Gulf of Oman and Indian Ocean.
Meanwhile, Reps. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) and Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) plan to force a vote on a war powers resolution next week to require Trump to receive authorization from Congress before attacking Iran. The vote could be close in a narrowly divided House.
▪ The Hill: Iran strikes 'likely' as Trump seeks leverage.
MAJOR ARREST: Lawmakers are touting the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, in the United Kingdom as a major step forward in gaining justice for the survivors of Jeffrey Epstein's actions.
Epstein survivors and advocates for the release of the Epstein files got their biggest victory in years Thursday when the former prince was arrested on suspicion of misconduct while in public office. Documents released by the Department of Justice (DOJ) show Andrew allegedly shared confidential information with Epstein while serving as the U.K.'s special representative for trade and investment.
He held that role throughout the 2000s.
While the arrest only concerns allegations regarding his time in public office and not any accusations from alleged victims, the investigation into him is reportedly more wide-ranging and not constrained to only what led to him being detained Thursday.
Andrew has most prominently been accused of sexual misconduct by the late Virginia Giuffre, who alleged he had sex with her years ago and that she was trafficked by Epstein. Andrew has denied those accusations against him.
He was released later Thursday under investigation and returned to his home.
Members of Congress who have been major advocates for the release of the Epstein files applauded the arrest.
Rep. Robert Garcia (D-Calif.), the ranking member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, called the arrest an "enormous step forward."
"Now it's time for the United States to end this White House cover-up," Garcia said in a statement. "President Trump and his Epstein Administration are not above the law."
Massie, who led the push for the files' release along Khanna, said in a post on the social platform X that arrests were the metric he established for the success of the Epstein Files Transparency Act.
"Now we need JUSTICE in the United States," he said, calling on Attorney General Pam Bondi and FBI Director Kash Patel to act.
The arrest of the former prince is the first in the ongoing saga over the files, as he became the first person arrested over allegations related to Epstein since the convicted sex offender himself and his associate, Ghislaine Maxwell.
While many high-profile figures named in the files have stepped back from public roles over their past ties to Epstein, Andrew is the first to be facing criminal charges.
Democrats are signaling they are looking ahead to push for greater accountability.
"If a Prince can be held accountable, so can a President," Rep. Melanie Stansbury (D-N.M.) wrote on X.
▪ The Hill: Takeaways from Andrew's arrest.
▪ The Hill: Trump calls Andrew's arrest 'very sad.'
TRUMP BANNER: A banner with a large image of the president has been unfurled at the DOJ, a further break with norms of distance between the department and the White House.
Under the photo reads the slogan, "Make America Safe Again."
Federal office buildings often feature a portrait of the current president, but a large poster on the facade is unusual. It's not the first time a Trump banner has been unveiled in front of a Cabinet-level department building.
Banners featuring Trump were hung outside the departments of Agriculture and Labor last year.
The banner at the DOJ building drew condemnations from Democrats, who compared it to what would happen in North Korea and accused Trump of further involvement in the traditionally independent DOJ.
Newsom's office posted a photo of portraits showing former North Korean leaders Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il outside government buildings.
New Mexico Sen. Ben Ray Luján (D) called the banner ironic.
"The irony of a twice-impeached, convicted felon putting his own picture on the wall of the Department of Justice. President Trump is weaponizing the DOJ as his own personal law firm," he said in a post on X.
PLEDGE: Trump announced the U.S. is pledging $10 billion to the Board of Peace at its first meeting Thursday, adding to the total to reconstruct Gaza.
The president held the meeting at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., with leaders from more than 20 countries in attendance. He said $7 billion has been raised as part of a relief package for Gaza from Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait.
But the board faces hurdles as many more countries that have been invited to join, including much of Europe, have declined over the language of the charter. Critics have taken issue that the board could be set up as a rival to the United Nations.
A key question also remains in Gaza as to whether Hamas will give up power and disarm as stipulated under the ceasefire deal with Israel.
▪ The Hill: Five takeaways from the board's launch.
BALLROOM APPROVAL: A federal arts panel entirely appointed by Trump has approved his plan to construct a new 90,000-square-foot ballroom on the East Wing of the White House.
The plan received approval from six of the seven members of the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts. The project's initial architect, Commissioner James McCrery, abstained.
The decision from Trump's handpicked members came as no surprise. But the project, set to be funded by $400 million in private donations, has come under intense scrutiny from critics who see it as a personal project damaging the legacy of a historic building.
It is slated for completion by 2028.
No comments:
Post a Comment