FAREWELL: The Rev. Jesse Jackson, a longtime civil rights leader who ran two prominent campaigns for the Democratic nomination for president in the 1980s, has died at the age of 84.
Jackson's family announced his death in a statement early Tuesday morning, saying he died surrounded by family. Jackson had been battling the neurodegenerative disorder Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP).
"Our father was a servant leader — not only to our family, but to the oppressed, the voiceless, and the overlooked around the world," the Jackson family said.
"His unwavering belief in justice, equality, and love uplifted millions, and we ask you to honor his memory by continuing the fight for the values he lived by," the statement continued.
An outpouring of condolences for Jackson are expected throughout the day Tuesday.
A protégé of the late Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Jackson gained national attention in the 1960s when he was a member of the "Greenville Eight" who tried to desegregate a public library in South Carolina. He helped lead the Southern Christian Leadership Conference's Operation Breadbasket, a program focused on improving the lives of Black people economically.
Jackson later formed his own civil rights organization that became known as the Rainbow PUSH Coalition based in Chicago.
He entered the world of politics more directly when he launched what had been considered a longshot presidential campaign in 1984 to oppose former President Reagan's reelection bid. Jackson outperformed expectations and became a serious candidate, ultimately coming in third for the Democratic nomination behind former Vice President Walter Mondale.
He tried again for the nomination in 1988, placing second behind then-Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis.
Jackson did win election in 1990 to become one of Washington, D.C.'s first "shadow senators."
He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2000 from then-President Clinton.
Jackson continued his activism in his later years despite PSP affecting his ability to move and speak, appearing at protests following the killing of George Floyd in 2020 and more recently at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 2024.
▪ CBS News: Jackson's life, work tied to Chicago.
EPSTEIN FALLOUT: Hyatt Hotels Corporation executive chair Tom Pritzker has become the latest public figure to face blowback over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein, announcing Monday that he would resign from his role.
Pritzker, who is Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker's (D) cousin, revealed his decision in a letter to the company's board after recently disclosed files showed he kept in close touch with the disgraced financier years after Epstein pleaded guilty to soliciting prostitution from a minor.
Tom Pritzker, who has served as the chair since 2004, hasn't been personally accused of wrongdoing but did communicate with Epstein about his interactions with women.
"I exercised terrible judgment in maintaining contact with them, and there is no excuse for failing to distance myself sooner," Pritzker wrote in the letter.
He's the latest major figure to step back from a position over revelations from the Epstein files, joining others such as Wall Street lawyer Kathy Ruemmler, corporate attorney Brad Karp and Hollywood mogul Casey Wasserman, among others.
▪ Axios: Files end political, business careers around the world.
DEATH PENALTY THREAT: The president warned Nancy Guthrie's kidnappers would face the death penalty if the mother of "Today" show anchor Savannah Guthrie is found dead.
Trump told the New York Post in a phone interview the consequences would be the "most severe" if the kidnappers kill Nancy Guthrie, responding to a question about whether the Department of Justice (DOJ) would seek the death penalty.
The FBI is searching for a possible suspect seen on Guthrie's doorbell camera, described as standing between 5-foot-9 and 5-foot-10 with an average build and seen wearing dark gloves, sweatpants and a jacket.
Savannah Guthrie said in a video post on Sunday that the family is still clinging to hope that her mother is still alive two weeks after her disappearance.
"And it is never too late to do the right thing, and we are here. We believe — and we believe in the essential goodness of every human being," she said in video addressed to anyone who might know where her mother is.
▪ CBS News: Device to track Guthrie's pacemaker deployed.
▪ NewsNation: Guthrie family members cleared in investigation.
ANTHROPIC TIES: The Pentagon is reviewing its association with the AI company Anthropic over the terms of use of its AI product, Claude.
The Department of Defense and Anthropic have held discussions for months about the military's terms of use for Claude. But Axios reported officials are now weighing whether to cut ties and label the company a supply-chain risk.
Claude was apparently used during the U.S. operation to capture former Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro last month through Anthropic's partnership with Palantir, stoking tensions with the Pentagon. Anthropic has denied reaching out to the department or Palantir, which has extensive military contracts, about the raid.
Axios reported Anthropic is prepared to loosen its terms of service but wants to ensure its tools aren't used to develop weaponry that fires without human involvement and its products aren't used for mass surveillance on Americans.
Chief Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell told The Hill the partnership's review is about guaranteeing the country's security.
"Our nation requires that our partners be willing to help our warfighters win in any fight. Ultimately, this is about our troops and the safety of the American people," he said.
▪ CNBC: Anthropic received user boost from Super Bowl ad.
NO EVIDENCE SHARING: The FBI has formally decided not to share any information about its investigation into the death of Alex Pretti with Minnesota officials, isolating the federal and state probes into the ICU nurse's death.
Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) Superintendent Drew Evans said in a statement Monday that the FBI notified the agency it won't provide access to any information or evidence it has gathered related to Pretti's death last month at the hands of federal immigration officers.
"While this lack of cooperation is concerning and unprecedented, the BCA is committed to thorough, independent and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence," Evans said, adding that BCA will continue to pursue all legal avenues to gain access to information.
The decision doesn't come as a significant surprise as the FBI had indicated it wouldn't coordinate with BCA on the investigation into the death of Renee Good earlier in January. But it's a setback in relations between the federal government and state officials, with tensions otherwise cooling as immigration agents withdraw from Minnesota.
White House border czar Tom Homan said Sunday a "small" security force would remain in the state for a short period of time to ensure agreements reached with local and state law enforcement remain in place.
Multiple investigations are ongoing into Pretti's death, including one from the DOJ's Civil Rights Division, though Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche cast doubt on its significance.
▪ CBS News: Hennepin County attorney to demand evidence be turned over.
▪ The New York Times: How videos expose and cloud the truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment