When asked Tuesday whether he was considering a ban on diesel exports, as some Republican lawmakers have called for in recent days, President Trump said, “I’ve called for that, too.”
“I’ve said, ‘Let’s not send out the diesel.’ We make a lot of diesel,” Trump said during a bilateral meeting with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.
“I’ve called for it within my people. I’ve been talking about it,” he added, then called upon Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent to expound on the issue.
“We’re examining that, whether it’s feasible in terms of the overall refining capacity and whether a full or partial ban would work,” Bessent said.
Over the weekend, several Republicans, particularly those from agriculture-heavy states such as Iowa, expressed support for barring diesel exports as prices hit record levels.
The option divides GOP lawmakers, with members from more oil-producing states dismissing the idea as “a gimmick.”
Read more at TheHill.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment